Friday, January 21, 2011

GF Slippery Noodles

Contributed by Angela Matthews


Back home in Kentucky a pot pie was a full, flaky pie crust filled with meat and vegetables and thin, flat dumplings in a stew were called rolled dumplings. After moving to Berkeley Springs I ordered a chicken pot pie and received what I think of as a bowl of chicken and rolled dumplings. Now I know this is Pot Pie with Slippery Noodles.


Something about freezing temperatures and howling winds makes people want a good stew with dumplings. Everyone here agreed that chicken pot pie with slippery noodles would hit the spot. The gluten free dumplings turned out tender, chewy and delicious!


Chicken Pot Pie with Slippery Noodles

Gluten Free Slippery Noodles


You will need a pot of your favorite stew hot and ready to cook your noodles in. While the stew is heating make your noodles.


Ingredients:


2 c. gluten free flour mix
1 T baking power
1 t salt
2 T butter or margarine
1 c. milk
1 egg


Pat dough into a rectangle.
In a deep mixing bowl combine the flour mix, baking powder and salt. Cut butter into the flour mixture until it the mix looks like coarse corn meal. Make a bowl in the flour mix and set aside.




Mix egg into milk. Pour milk & egg mixture into the bowl in the flour mixture and fold the flour mixture into the milk. The dough should be stiff but not crumbly. If it is crumbly, add more milk to the mixture until it holds together well.


Dough cut into noodles.
Pat the dough into a ball and move it to a surface floured with gluten free flour. Press the dough to 12" long by 4" wide by 1" thick rectangle. Continue to press until the dough feels very firm under your hands.


With a sharp knife cut ⅛" wide noodles from the shortest (4") edge of the rectangle.


Finished noodles.
Drop noodles into your boiling stew one at a time. Aim the thin edge of the noodle into the stew so that the noodle slips a little under the surface. This will allow your  noodles to cook fully without  sticking together. Cover your pot and lower the heat. Simmer noodles for 10 minutes or so. They will be done when cooked through but still chewy. Remove from heat and serve.

1 comment:

  1. I was super glad to find this recipe, and ultimately it worked out ok, but I would suggest some modifications. First, I admit that I used Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 gf flour blend, but it is a primarily starchy blend similar to your recipe. Second, I used almond milk. Regardless, I think this needs nearly a whole extra cup of flour and some kneading, which I needed to make a stiff and smooth enough dough so that the dumplings would not fall apart in the water. I also used kosher salt, and I think that you must have used fine sea salt, because I needed another half teaspoon of salt. I also suspect that half or 3/4 of the baking powder would be better. The puffiness isn't really characteristic of slick dumplings, in my experience. Still, really glad I found this recipe!

    ReplyDelete